The Narrow Leaf Poplar is native to the Great Plains and Intermountain regions of the United States. Growing primarily along streams, this tree prefers moist soil and is shade tolerant. This fast growing poplar is also known as the cottonwood for its production of cotton-like material created around the seed pods. The Narrow Leaf provides excellent habitat, cover and food for a wide variety of wildlife.
- Scientific Name: Populus angustifolia
- Key features: Fast growing, shade tree
- Plant type: Deciduous Tree
- Cold hardiness zones: 3-9
- Light needs: Sun or Shade
- Water Needs: High
- Average landscape size: 40′ Tall; 25′ Wide