This decorative Native Chokecherry quickly grows to heights of up to 25′. In the spring, this tree is covered in a showy spray of flowers, and later the reddish-black edible fruits. In fall, the shiny dark green leaves turn a lovely shade of maroon. This tree attracts a variety of wildlife with it’s flowers and fruits. The Native Chokecherry requires well drained soil, and is drought tolerant.
- Scientific Name: Prunus virginiana
- Key feature: Showy, flowering tree
- Plant type: Deciduous Tree
- Cold hardiness zones: 4 – 10
- Light needs: Sun, Partial Shade
- Water Needs: Average to Dry
- Average landscape size: 25” Tall; 10′ – 15′ Wide